Make Sure to Hire Properly Licensed Tradesmen and Contractors

When hiring a tradesman, such as an electrician or plumber, or a contractor to work on your home or property, you will want to make sure they are properly licensed by the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR).  You may check for a license by going online to

Electricians, plumbers, and HVAC must be licensed to do their respective trades.  Contractors must have a Class C license if the project is valued at $1,000.  If the project is valued at more than $10,000, they need a Class B license. If it is valued at more than $120,000, they need a Class A license.

If you hire a person to do your work who is not properly licensed and he has actual knowledge that a license was required, he cannot recover against you.  So it pays to always ask up front to see the tradesmen’s or contractor’s license. Failure to have a properly licensed person do work on your home can create problems when you go to sell it.  So protect yourself and hire a properly qualified person.

                                                                             Thomas A. Leggette, J.D., Author:

                                                                             Consumer Contracts in Virginia

                                                                             Virginia Continuing Legal Education

This article is not provided for use or reliance by you or any third parties and does not purport to be exhaustive or to render legal advice for your particular situation or any other specific case. It is meant merely to assist you in sharpening the questions you might ask of your legal advisor in your particular case. Please give me a call should you have any questions. (See: Disclaimer)