How Do I Know If I Have a Bad Credit Report and What Can I Do about It?

The federal Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (FACT Act) allows you to get one free copy of your credit file every 12 months from each of the nationwide credit reporting agencies.  You may request your free annual credit file:

 If you meet one of the FCRA requirements below, you are entitled to one additional free copy of your credit file during any 12 month period:

If any of these situations apply to you, you can request your additional free copy of your credit file by calling 800-685-1111.

Review the credit report when it comes in carefully.  Consult someone familiar with consumer law.  And put together a written response to the credit card company in question showing where that company has erred.

                                                                            Thomas A. Leggette, J.D., Author:

                                                                            Consumer Contracts in Virginia

                                                                            Virginia Continuing Legal Education

This article is not provided for use or reliance by you or any third parties and does not purport to be exhaustive or to render legal advice for your particular situation or any other specific case. It is meant merely to assist you in sharpening the questions you might ask of your legal advisor in your particular case. Please give me a call should you have any questions. (See: Disclaimer)